We believe that the first step towards the effective control of complex situations lies in the application of “management based on facts”. We can only reliably solve environmental problems if we acquire reliable data on the environmental situation as well as quantitative measurements and analysis relating to it. We believe that waste prevention can contribute to protecting the environment and that it provides economic advantages. Accordingly, we are concerned with identifying and eliminating various types of waste - including raw materials, energy, activities, and time - thereby also enhancing our economic effectiveness.
At Office Evolution Ltd we maintain an Environmental Policy which sets out our policy for dealing with the impact that our operations have on the environment.
- We aim to recycle all packaging that arrives in our warehouse, either by repurposing this for outbound deliveries or recycling through our local waste collection.
- We maintain our building to reduce our carbon footprint, this includes energy efficient lighting, insulation and monitoring of water consumption.
- We select company vehicles that are the most efficient in the range, using technology such as Bluetec and BlueMotion.
- We implement the latest technology to reduce our annual mileage and enable us to resolve issues using the internet.
- We encourage our customers to hold off on non-essential orders and order everything in one go to reduce deliveries, this reduces our carbon emissions from delivery vans.
Konica Minolta (Develop) has been awarded ISO 14001 certification for its swift and efficient handling of environmental issues in each product life phase – from selection of the raw materials and components through to development, production, distribution, use, service, and disposal. Printing functions such as duplex and deletion of blank pages avoid unnecessary paper wastage and can be defaulted to automatically improve environmental impact from printing. Develop products have very low TEC (typical electricity consumption) values: The latest devices switch to energy-saving mode faster and consume considerably less power in sleep mode than previous products, helping to save running costs.
- Recyclable design of all system components
- Implementation of the “zero waste” principle at various production locations
- Evaluation and selection of suppliers and consumables manufacturers taking environmental considerations into account
- World-wide certification according to ISO 14001 and ISO 9000
- All Develop products are Energy Star rated and have been awarded the “Blue Angel” certification
As CO2 emissions are believed to play a key role in global warming, the reduction of these emissions represents a significant goal of world-wide environmental protection. In order to achieve this goal, Konica Minolta is reducing the energy consumption of its products. One example is the new induction heating technology for our fixer units in the latest colour product generation, ineo+. The use of polymerised toner reduces fusing temperatures, as polymerised toner grains are so fine, a smaller amount of toner is needed than with pulverised toner, thus using fewer natural resources. Additionally, Develop polymerised toner requires a lower fusing temperature. Both aspects contribute greatly to reducing the amount of energy used and the related CO2 emission. An important ingredient in Develop toner is biomass (a plant-based material), which is CO2-neutral during recycling.
In many companies, today’s watchword is cutting costs – and it applies just as much to larger-scale investments as it does to consumables, such as toner. Therefore, more and more manufacturers of cheaper alternatives or vendors of original merchandise at lower prices have entered the market. However, cheap does not necessarily mean good. Use of a lower-quality toner cannot just have a negative effect on print quality but also lead to irreparable damage to a printing system. A one-off cheaper purchase then becomes an expensive mistake. And that is why we encourage our customers to buy DEVELOP toners.
Our toners are recycled using the Zero Waste scheme, a scheme that promotes “The Circular Economy” which aims to be a greener solution for our environment. They reduce the impact of waste cartridges on the environment by reusing cartridges that can be refilled and repairing broken but reusable cartridges. For those consumables that cannot be reused, these are recycled back into raw materials for use in other products. This process is carried out on one site to minimize the environmental impact of transportation on the service. It reduces plastic waste by keeping “end of life products” in use for another 2 or 3 life cycles, reducing the need for production of new materials. Certification can be provided on request.
We have partnered with The Woodland Trust on the environmentally conscious Carbon Capture programme for all paper-based products. From the paper that we purchase, a separate charge is calculated which is given to The Woodland Trust to mitigate the CO2 emissions from production. This is done by planting trees in certified Woodland sites across the UK. 100% of the charge goes to the programme and this is paid by us so that we can keep your prices low. So far, we have managed to capture 27.74 tonnes of Carbon Dioxide and planted over 700 square meters of Native Woodland. We receive a quarterly certificate showing the latest figures, this can be provided on request.